Cambodia and Lao to Set Plans for a Long-Term Partnership

Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen (R) and his Laos counterpart Thongloun Sisoulith take part in a signing ceremony at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh on September 12, 2019. Photo by TANG CHHIN Sothy / AFP

PHNOM PENH – Cambodia and Lao will sign a five-year action plan for a comprehensive and long-lasting partnership between the two countries, Cambodia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a press release on Feb. 10.

The signing is due to take place during Prime Minister Hun Sen’s official visit to Lao, which is set for Feb.13 and 14. The Cambodian prime minister will visit that country at the invitation of his Laotian counterpart Sonexay Siphandone, the press release read.

This will be the first meeting between Hun Sen and Sonexay as the latter was only elected prime minister by the Lao parliament in December 2022.

During their upcoming talks, the two leaders will discuss ways to further enhance cooperation between the two countries in all fields including political security and socio-economic sectors. They will also exchange views on subregional and international issues of common interest and concerns, according to the press release.

“Following the dialogue, the two Prime Ministers will sign the Action Plan for the Comprehensive and Long-Lasting Strategic Partnership between the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Lao People’s Democratic Republic for the years 2023-2027,” the press release said.

Cambodia and Lao established diplomatic relations in 1956 and the ties between them were upgraded to a Comprehensive and Long-term Strategic Partnership in 2019.

The two countries have been traditionally and historically on good terms except when a border dispute briefly erupted in 2019 as Lao sent its troops into areas of Stung Treng province. So far, 86 percent of the border between the two countries has been demarcated, and both Cambodia and Lao are committed to soon handle the remaining 14 percent.  

Related Articles